Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Sky is the Hardest Part

The hardest part about having a plan is being patient. When others are going fast and you are not, it's hard. But the framework has to be built, before the picture can take shape. The puzzle pieces are slowly falling into place. Each week the picture is becoming more clear, but details remain. And the sky is always the hardest part.

Today was the rez. I have a love/hate relationship with this place. Good memories of times before. Bad memories of the sand run up. The sensations, as the say, during warm-ups were not good. The sand run up seemed even longer than usual.

My start was not good and as we made the first u-turn and I could see how many were ahead. I almost mailed it in, but something kept my head in the game and I just kept plugging away. I was moving forward and moving forward fast. I hitched up the back-end of The Converted's train and hung on. Every time up the sand run-up I would get gapped and have to spend extra energy trying to get back on. Eventually I fell off the group, but was able to hold on to my position for the rest of the race.

UCI races next weekend. And some more pieces to the puzzle.

1 comment:

Isaac said...

Good work Bill! The battle with Rocky Mounts for the BCT is tightening!