Sunday, November 16, 2008

4th Anniversary

Yesterday was the final race in the Boulder Racing CX season and represented my 4 year cross anniversary. Yep, the addiction started four years ago on a muddy day in November at the Louisville Rec Center. And yes, it started on a mountain bike, my wife's mountain bike none the less. And like for many of us, it was Dan's fault. I remember being terrified I'd get in someones way and I did as the leader of the 35+ open race lapped me. He said on your left and I moved to my left. Whoops! There were less than 10 starters in the 35+/4 field that year.
Louisville 2004 - Working the mud
Then I grew up, shaved, got some contacts, got on a team, and bought a real cross bike. I really did love my Bianchi. Yep, that's Mr. Love on his mountain bike trying to chase me down so he could put a knife into the back of my kit.
Louisville 2005 - Trying to shake the Love man

Two years in and a complete addict. Time to get serious and get to the front of the race. Worked a plan for the first time and did well most weeks and even put a W up on the board in 2006. The reward? Welcome to the 3's.

Louisville 2006 - Me and the Boyz working the front of the race

The transition year was next. Most of it in the 35+ open getting my ass handed to me. No pics from Louisville in 2007 to document the pain, but Dan-O did win it in the 35+/4's.

And so the 4th anniversary began with a bang. One rider down and then a whole bunch follow. I narrowly escape the disaster and get onto the back of the split in the field. Feeling good and moving up, and winning some battles and losing others. Get caught by a group with a few to go and just can't hang on. Catch a few others with one to go and get a gap. Almost catch two more sleeping at the line, but run out of track. Pics courtesy of Mrs. Coverted and Marty.

A new hill in the course and a battle lost to Rocky Mounts.

Working the barriers

The catch and pass up the run by Mr. Converted. Yep, that's his handsome calf.

Bringing it home


2 comments:

bizalich said...

DAMMM! that is quite the introspective. i dig it.

looks like you have a year head start on me, because when i saw that pic of me chasing you down, it reminded me that that race was the first CX race i ever did, on the mtn bike with a rigid 69er set up.

bill, you're the man; can't wait to rock nationals with the crew again this year.

rob

Turkey Dave said...

Nice billy!
I was there for all but the mudfest ....
I remember rob (and then jeremy later at xilinx) on that 69-er.

I too dont have any pix of 2007. Was there a keg? JK