Sunday, November 09, 2008

Cross or Crit?

Went down the Golden today for a cross race and a crit broke out. The question wasn't if it was going to be fast or not, that was a given, but if you could out last the goat head mine field.

They were everywhere and the reports from the earlier races were not good. After a couple of warm up laps on the A bike I had my own. While Bob the Builder worked on getting my tire sealed, I got on the B bike and stayed on the pavement for the rest of the warm up.

Warmed up and ready to roll I got myself into the second row and was quietly confident that the course would suit me. Instruction from the ref and the gun was off. I got my self in good position going into the first turn onto the dirt. Things were going a little slow, so I jumped into the right lane and worked my way up to 6th wheel. Soon I joined up with Mr. Converted and we worked together (mostly him working) for a couple of laps. We reeled in the number 4 guy and as we came back onto the pavement and through the start/finish area Mr. Converted attacked. Our companion sat on my wheel and was content to let the move go. I turned to him a couple of times and told him that I wasn't going to chase down my teammate, but he wouldn't pull through. In the meantime, Mr. Coverted got a huge gap and was gone for good.

For the rest of the race I worked hard to hold my position. I'd move up only to be caught and dropped by a few. As the chase was persistent from behind, I had to dig deep. I just kept repeating to myself, "calm and strong, calm and strong, calm and strong."

In the end I held on and finished in good position. It was a good mental recharge from the disaster known as Boulder Cup Day 2. More sky is in place and the puzzle should be completed just in time for this.

Props to Mr. Converted who just keeps bringing it!

Photo's courtesey of Mrs. Converted